Friday, March 4, 2011

"Good eats"



This morning I tried almond milk for the first time, and I think it's my favorite so far! It's very creamy and rich. I went back for another half a glass it was so good!


Yesterday I made some "Moroccan quinoa", which I think has been my favorite vegan dish so far (I'll post the recipe below). The flavor of the curry, cumin and cinnamon blended so well together. I am going to have the leftovers for lunch this afternoon.....and then I am going to have to make another batch :)

My vegan adaption of "spiced quinoa" (from allrecipes.com)

2 tsp olive oil
1/2 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup quinoa + 2 Tblsp.
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
3/4 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup toasted almonds
1/4 cup raisins, (optional)
Directions:
1.Stir together the olive oil, onion, carrot, and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the quinoa, curry powder, salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes then add spinash and cook another 10 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
2.Once the quinoa has finished cooking, stir in the drained garbanzo beans, and raisins. Garnish with toasted almonds. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy, it's not only healthy, but super delicious!
*this is originally serves 4, but I halved the recipe to serve 2, approx 3/4 cup servings.

No comments: